It might be time to be responsible to others…
by Vincent Desrus
– Traffic collisions cause 1.3 million deaths per year (in the world)
– The traffic collisions are the leading cause of death among young people aged 15 to 29 years.
– More than 90% of road deaths occur in countries with low and middle income, who have less than half of the world’s fleet of vehicles.
– Nearly half (46%) of deaths on the roads are “vulnerable road users” (pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists).
– If nothing is done, road accidents result 1.9 million deaths per year by 2020.
– Only 15% of countries have comprehensive laws regarding the five main risk factors of road accidents: speeding, driving while intoxicated, failure to wear a safety helmet for motorcyclists or belt safety and non-use of safety devices for children.